AUDITIONS: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
- Music & Lyrics: Stephen Sondheim
- Book: Burt Shevelove and Larry Gelbart
- Director: Craig Hartfield
- Musical Director: Mary Jo Hahn
- Run Dates: July 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21, 2013
- Audition Dates: Sunday, May 5at 5pm; Monday, May 6at 7pm
- Rehearsals Begin: Monday, May 13 at 7pm
Casting ages 16 and up. Please prepare a classic (not contemporary), comedic, musical theatre style song. Cold readings from the script. Be prepared to move. Please bring sheet music in the correct key. An accompanist will be provided. There will be no auditions to tracks or a cappella.
Synopsis: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum is a Tony Award winning musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and a book by Burt Shevelove and Larry Gelbart.
In a desperate attempt to win his freedom, the slave, Pseudolus, attempts to help his young master, Hero, earn the love of a courtesan, Philia. Meanwhile, Pseudolus has to outsmart Hero’s parents, the slave-master, Lycus, and the large man that has already paid for Philia, Miles Gloriosus. Also, an old man Erronious is desperately searching for his lost children. The humor is broad, bawdy and fast-paced.
Casting the following roles:
- Prologus/Pseudolus – (Baritone/Tenor) male, 20s-50s, a comic dynamo, broad physical comedy and conniving charisma a must.
- Senex – (Baritone) male, 40s-60s, a lusty, deceitful husband and loving father
- Domina – (Mezzo Soprano) female, 40s-50s, a terrifying dominating wife and suffocating mother
- Hero – (Tenor)male,18 – 20s, a stupefyingly innocent, love struck youth
- Hysterium – (Baritone)male, late 20s-early 50s, the loving, brown-nosing and highly neurotic head slave to Domina
- Erronius – (Baritone) male, 60s-just-short-of-deceased, an old neighbor, a near-blind, almost-deaf, but vibrant ancient traveler
- Miles Gloriosus – (Legit Baritone) male, 30s-40s, a powerful, egotistical, General of the Emperor’s army
- Marcus Lycus – (Baritone) male, 30s-60s, a charming local businessman who peddles the flesh of young nubile women
- Tintinabula – female, 16-30s, a young nubile woman, a courtesan of The House of Lycus, dancing skills a must
- Panacea – female, 16-30s, a young nubile woman, a courtesan of The House of Lycus, dancing skills a must
- The Geminae – females, 16-30s, TWO young nubile women to play identical twins, courtesans of The House of Lycus, dancing skills a must
- Vibrata – female, 16-30s, a young nubile woman, a courtesan of The House of Lycus, dancing skills a must
- Gymnasia – female, 16-30s, a Dominatrix (who happens to be a young nubile woman), a courtesan of The House of Lycus, dancing skills a must
- Philia – (Soprano) female, older teens-early 20s, a virgin (‘nuff said)
- The Proteans – males or females, 16-30s, three physical comedians to play multiple roles throughout the show
A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM
is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI).
All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI.
421 West 54th Street, New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212-541-4684 Fax: 212-397-4684